Abandoned G-Q

PIERCE-ARROW (1929-30) — This 1929 or '30 Pierce-Arrow was discovered sitting in front of an old Phillips 66 gas station on Route 66 in Chandler, Okla. The Pierce Arrow was redesigned in 1929 to include headlights molded into the front fenders. It came in four wheelbases with a choice of three straight eight engines with horsepower ratings from 115 to 132. Prices ranged from $2,595 to $6,250, a princely sum during the first years of the Great Depression. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


PLYMOUTH (1953) — Plymouth marked its 25th anniversary in 1953, the same year it introduced a new design for its mainstream car. Unfortunately, the only engine available with the new design was the company's 20-year-old flathead six-cylinder. It also soldiered on without an automatic transmission, the only mainstream car not to offer one that year. Even so, Plymouth turned in a record sales year. This used up 1953 Plymouth was discovered in Mayer, Ariz. (Photos by Jim Prueter)


The MG Midget two-seat sports car was built from 1961 to 1979. This third-generation circa 1972-74 model was found living by the side of a road in eastern North Carolina. It is powered by a 55 horsepower 4-cylinder engine making 67 pound-feet of torque. The third of four generations went from 1966 through 1974. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


HUDSON (1955) — The Hudson Hornet, produced from 1951 through 1957, underwent a major re-design for the 1955 model year after Hudson merged with American Motors. Even with the new body style, which included a broad eggcrate grille and distinctive two-toning, sales were dismal, measured at 10,010 sedans in 1955. This 1955 model living in retirement in Texas is part of Peter Hubbard's Junkyard Dog collection. (Photos by Peter Hubbard)


LINCOLN (CIRCA 1981-1989) — The Lincoln Town Car is a model line of full-size luxury sedans that was marketed by the Lincoln division of Ford Motor Company in three generations from 1981 to 2011. This first-generation (1981-1989) Town Car was found in an abandoned condition in eastern North Carolina. The Town Car shared its chassis and mechanical components with the Mercury Grand Marquis and the Ford (LTD) Crown Victoria. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


MERCURY (circa 1946-48) — Mercury refreshed its pre-war 1941 model — which was all new at the time — with a new grille and other styling tweaks for the first post-war cars built for model years 1946-48. This post-war coupe was discovered behind a barn in Ellendale, North Dakota. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


OLDSMOBILE (1964) — A seventh generation Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight was discovered in retirement in South Carolina. The seventh generation was built from 1961 through 1964. The 98 lived from 1940 through 1996. We think this is a 1964 model. The Oldsmobile 98 came in six body styles and three configurations in 1964  — 2-door, 4-door and convertible. Standard equipment included power steering, power brakes, power windows and power seats. The powertrain was a 6.5-liter Rocket V8 mated to a 3-speed automatic. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


OLDSMOBILE (mid-60s) — This second-generation 1966 or 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass has seen better days. The Cutlass was built from 1961 through 1988 going through five iterations and a couple of sizes. The second generation had four engines available ranging from a 155-horsepower six-cylinder to a 345-horsepower V-8. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


PLYMOUTH (circa 1936-38) — Plymouth started life in 1928 and by the early 1930s the brand was the third best-selling car in the U.S. By 1939, Plymouth was selling more than 400,000 copies a year. Its best years were 1940-41 when it became the second best-seller, almost catching Ford. This model, which we have identified as a 1936-1938 model was discovered by photographer Ralph Gable.


INTERNATIONAL (1973) — International Harvester produced the Light Line pickup truck from 1969 through April 1975 when production ended. This 1973 International 1210 pickup was discovered in Comfort, Texas. The Light Line had a wider range of engines and wheelbase options than any of its competitors. (Photo by Jim Prueter)


PACKARD (1941) — Packard was one of the premier luxury cars in the U.S. prior to World War II although it was losing some of its luster in the late '30s by building several more affordable models. In 1937, Packard re-introduced a six-cylinder engine, its first since 1928 when it went exclusively to eight-cylinder powerplants. This Packard sedan was discovered in Holbrook, Ariz. (Photo by Ted Biederman)


MERCURY (1950-51) — The 1949-1951 Mercury became popular in the latter part of the 20th Century for conversion to street rods. The Mercury's of that era were propelled by a Ford flathead V-8. This four-door version of either a 1950 or 1951 model was found in South Carolina. (Photo by Ralph Gable)


OLDSMOBILE (1962) — In 1962, the full-sized Oldsmobile 88 was in its fifth generation (1961-1964). The base Dynamic 88 was powered by the 280-horsepower Jetfire Rocket V-8 while the Super 88 received the 394 Skyrocket V-8 making 330-horsepower. Both models were outfitted with a 3-speed Roto Hydra-Matic transmission. This 1962 model was found enjoying retirement in Munger, Mich. (Photos by Jim Prueter)


JEEP (early '50s) — The Jeep Willys became popular after World War II and was sold in a variety of formats. This early 1950s model Jeep pickup proclaims its 4-wheel-drive configuration on the side of the hood. It was found in retirement on Highway 82 near the Continental Divide in Colorado. (Photos by Jim Prueter)


JEEP (1953) — This 1953 Willys Jeep station wagon was found in good condition in Door County, Wis. The Willys Jeep wagon was the first mass-produced all-steel station wagon designed as a passenger vehicle. It was built in the United States from 1946 to 1965 with more than 300,000 sold. (Photo by Ed Meachen)


GMC (circa 1948-53) — Following World War II, the first all-new Chevrolet pickup and the rebadged GMC edition entered the marketplace in June 1947 as 1948 models, labeled the Advance Design series. The series was built through the mid-50s with only minor design tweaks. This GMC truck from the 1948-53 period lives in retirement in Bluff, Utah. (Photos by Jim Prueter)


JEEP (post WWII) — This post-WWII Willys Jeep found in eastern North Carolina has become a trash depository, its useful life long gone. The Army Jeep was transformed for civilian use after the war in 1945 and was particularly popular with servicemen who had driven the military variety. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


ISUZU (early '80s) — In 1981 Isuzu began selling consumer and commercial vehicles under its own brand in the United States after marketing several rebadged General Motors vehicles. GM had bought a 34 percent stake in the Japanese company in 1972.  The Isuzu P'Up was the first model sold to consumers as an Isuzu, rather than as a Chevrolet or Buick. This early '80s P'Up was discovered rusting away in South Carolina. (Photo by Ralph Gable)


MORRIS MINOR — This ragged-out Morris Minor convertible — used as yard art — was found near Boone, N.C. The diminutive Morris Minor was built in Great Britain from 1948 through 1972 with more than 1.3 million manufactured in various configurations including a two-door sedan, convertible, wagon and panel van. Engine horsepower through the years ranged from 27 to 48. Some of the earliest models took a glacier-like 50 seconds to go from 0-to-60. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


JEEP — This old Jeep looks rather forlorn as it endures the hardship of Colorado weather in its retirement from active duty. MotorwayAmerica contributor Jim Prueter found the Jeep near Gateway, Col.


MERCEDES-BENZ (1984) — This 1984 Mercedes-Benz 280 E sedan was found in a deteriorating condition in a wooded area of South Carolina. In the 1980's the E denoted fuel injection. The actual E-Class model as sold today didn't come on line until 1993. (Photos By Ralph Gable)


PLYMOUTH (1966) — Plymouth jumped on the compact-sized sporty car craze in 1964 with the Barracuda, which was produced through the 1974 model year. This 1966 first-generation Barracuda has suffered considerable abuse as it rests in a North Carolina lot of used-up cars.  The Barracuda actually pre-dates the Mustang by two weeks. Three engines were offered in the first three years — a 2.8-liter inline 6, a 3.7-liter inline 6 and a 4.5 liter V-8. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


PONTIAC (1940) — This 1940 Pontiac sedan was discovered in a barn in eastern North Carolina. The '40 had a handsome well-designed dashboard with radio controls in easy reach — a feature that has become scarce these days. Pontiac sold 217,101 units in 1940, a big jump from 1939 when 137,249 units were sold. Above is a restored dashboard from a 1940 car.  (Photos by Jim Meachen)


HONDA (1979) — The Honda Prelude is a sports coupe that spanned five generations from 1978 until 2001. This first-generation Prelude (1978-1982) was photographed in abandoned condition in front of an abandoned house in northern Vermont. It is powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and came with the choice of a three-speed automatic or a five-speed manual transmission. (Photo by Jim Meachen)



JJEP — This old Willys Jeep faces the ravages of a Wisconsin winter. We figure it probably looks better in snow. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


LINCOLN (mid '80s) — This mid-1980s Lincoln Town Car watches another season change from fall to winter in rural  northern Vermont. The Town Car, built from 1981 to 2011, was Lincoln's most popular nameplate. The first generation from 1981 through 1989, came in two-door and four-door formats. The first generation was powered by a 302-cubic inch, 4.9-liter V-8. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


PLYMOUTH (1949) — Plymouth was the second-best selling car in the U.S. in 1940 and 1941 and sales continued at a good pace after World War II. 1949 was the first year of an all-new car since pre-war, and sales continued at a good pace. This 1949 model was discovered in South Carolina. (Photo by Ralph Gable)


MERCURY (1989-1990) — This 1989/1990 model Mercury Cougar has seen better days and might be hoping for a good home. But chances are good it will continue to be relegated to neglected and abandoned status. The Cougar is a nameplate applied to a diverse series of automobiles sold by Mercury from 1967 through 2002. The seventh-generation Cougar got a new body and chassis in 1989 and was built through 1997. The standard engine in 1989 was a 3.8-liter V-6 making 140 horsepower mated to a four-speed automatic. The 1989-90 models can be differentiated from the later seventh-generation models because of their slightly larger grille.
(Photos by Ralph Gable)


MERCURY (1968) — This 1968 Mercury Cyclone has been stripped of all its important parts, some of which have probably been transplanted in other Cyclones of the same age. The Cyclone started life in 1964 as a sporty option for the Mercury Comet. In 1968 the Comet name was dropped, and the Cyclone gained several engine options including the high-performance 427 cubic inch V-8 with four-barrel carburetor generating as much as 425 horsepower used mainly for drag racing, according to How Stuff Works. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


MERCEDES-BENZ  (1977) — The weeds have growen so high around this 1977 Mercedes-Benz 450SEL that they appear to be an untrimmed hedge. The 450SEL designates a 4.5 cubic inch 8-cylinder engine, which made 180 horsepower mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. This series of S Class, manufactured from 1972 through 1980, was judged one of the safest cars on the road in that decade. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


JAGUAR (circa 1974) — The Jaguar XJ series was first sold in 1968 with the second generation Series 2 produced from 1973-1979. Pictured is a second-generation Jaguar, with a 5.3-liter V-12 — according to the emblem on the rear. It was found in retirement in North Carolina. The big engine — making 265 horsepower — was first used in 1972 with a top speed of 140 mph. It was billed as the "fastest full four-seater available in the world." (Photo by Ralph Gable)


INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER (circa 1949-1952) — This circa 1949-1952 International Harvester L-Series truck cab was found rusting away in an eastern North Carolina field.The L-Series was introduced in 1949 as a replacement for the KB-Series and was available as everything from light pickup trucks and delivery vehicles to full-size tractor-trailers. Electric wipers, a radio, and a clock were optional. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


MACK (mid 1950s) This mid-1950s Mack B Model truck was discovered in retirement along the side of a highway in south-central Virginia. The B Model was manufactured from 1953 through 1966. Above is a magazine advertisement for the 1955 Mack. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


KAISER, FRAIZER (1947) — This rare find of a 1947 Kaiser (left) and Frazer were found in a yard in Wayne, Alberta, Canada. The Kaizer-Frazer car company was founded on July 25, 1945, and displayed prototypes of their two new cars in New York in 1946. Kaiser and Frazer shared bodies and powertrains. The cars, the first all-new sedans in the U.S. following the end of World War II, were powered by a 226-cubic-inch L-head six making 100 horsepower mated to a three-speed transmission with optional overdrive. (Photo by Susan Skaggs)


OLDSMOBILE (1955) — This 1955 Oldsmobile, resting in a Wisconsin field, looks ready for restoration. Oldsmobiles were completely restyled for the 1954 model year with new longer and lower body shells and wrap-around windshields and rear windows. The 1955 models were heavily face-lifted with new grillework, taillights and body-side chrome. Horsepower for the 324-cubic-inch Rocket V8 increased to 185 for 88s and 202 for Super 88s. Above, a magazine ad for the 1955 Olds. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


MORRIS — This Morris Minor 1000 2-door from the 1950s lives among the trash of a junkyard. It probably was once a proud family car. The Morris Minor 1000 was produced from 1956 through 1971 in Oxford and Birmingham, England. Nearly 850,000 copies were sold. The car had limited sales in North America. (Photo by John Harper)


INTERNATIONAL (1941) — Our photographer Ralph Gable spotted this body — that looks to be in restorable condition — of what appears to be a 1941 International pickup. The K Series light-duty pickup was introduced in 1940 with the key styling element being headlights integrated into the fenders.


OLDSMOBILE (1980) This Oldsmobile Omega coupe was found looking rather well for its age resting in a field of weeds in Tennessee. The Oldsmobile Omega, largely unloved during its 12-year run, was a compact car sold from 1973 through 1984. It faced a host of reliability problems through its cycle. There were two generations of Omegas, both badge engineered on Chevrolet models, and both using the GM X platform architecture. The Omega shared the same engines as the Chevrolet Citation, the Pontiac Phoenix and the Buick Skylark — the so-called "Iron Duke" I4 and a 2.8-liter V6. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


PLYMOUTH (1968) — This 1968 Plymouth Satellite, discovered in Tennessee, appears to have been stripped of most of its essential parts. The Satellite, built from 1965 through 1974, started out as the top trim model for the Plymouth Belvedere and was available only with a V-8 engine. The second-generation Satellite was restyled for 1968 and the lineup was expanded beyond a two-door hardtop and convertible to include a four-door sedan and station wagon. It was restyled again for the 1971 model year. Below is a look at the Satellite from a 1968 Plymouth brochure. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


JEEP WAGONEER (Early '80s) — This early 1980s Jeep Wagoneer lives in retirement in the weeds. The Wagoneer was built from 1963 through 1991, a sport utility vehicle (SUV) before the term was even coined. The wagon received only minor styling changes through the years. The Wagoneer was moved upmarket in its later years by AMC before Chrysler acquired AMC in 1987. The Wagoneer could be purchased with either a six-cylinder or V-8 engine in the early '80s and with a four-speed automatic transmission. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


This 1950 Pontiac two-door Streamliner discovered in eastern North Carolina appears to be in restorable condition. It was the second year of an all-new post-war design under the styling direction of famed GM designer Harley Earl. Several models were built including the Chieftain, Streamliner, Catalina, business coupe and convertible. Pontiac sold 450,000 Pontiacs in 1950, the most in the brand's history up to that point, trailing only Chevrolet, Ford, Plymouth, Buick and Dodge in domestic sales. A 268 cubic inch straight-8 Silver Streak was the top engine that year making 108 horsepower and 208 pound-feet of torque. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


GMC — A mid-1960s GMC pickup — decorated with a set of antlers — sits next to a vintage gas pump in the Yukon in northwest Canada. Some enterprising landowner apparently decided to set up this nostalgic display. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


GMC (1956) — This 1956 GMC pickup, once used as a tow truck, could stand some tender, loving care. It is living the old Biblical saying, dust to dust, and ashes to ashes; and perhaps we can add, rust to rust. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


McCORMICK-DEERING — The McCormick-Deering was a tractor built by the International Harvester Company from the mid-20s until the Deering name was dropped some time in 1948 or 1949 when the tractor became the McCormick. This tractor, probably from the '40s, was found in retirement in Hosmer, S.D., next to a vintage gas pump and travel trailer. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


INTERNATIONAL (1948) — Following World War II International truck production began with a slightly new design in 1947 highlighted by the barrel-shaped grille sprouting little "wings," which are mostly gone from this 1948 model truck discovered in North Carolina. International stuck with the front-end design until 1950. This truck apparently hauled heavy farm equipment in its working life. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


OLDSMOBILE (1948) — Oldsmobile was endowed with a new exterior design for the 1948 model year based on General Motors' newly developed C-Body platform, but clung to its pre-war flathead straight-eight engine. For 1948, the compression ratio was increased from 6.5:1 to 7.0:1 and horsepower was nudged upward from 110 to 115. Customers who waited until 1949 were rewarded with an all-new overhead valve V8 engine. This '48 model, discovered in Ellendale, N.D., is outfitted with a 4-speed Hydramatic automatic transmission. A three-speed manual was also available. It also appears that its owner outfitted it with an add-on air conditioner. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


INTERNATIOANL (1941) — This used up 1941 International pickup truck was found near Trapper Creek, Alaska, its bed now used for growing weeds (or perhaps flowers of some variety). (Photos by Jerry Brown)


INTERNATIONAL (1956) — This 1956 S-line International pickup truck has been retired by Larry's Wrecking Service in Hosmer, S.D. The International Harvester company built pickup trucks from 1907 through 1975. The standard Black Diamond 240 six-cylinder engine in the 1956 truck made 131 horsepower and 208.5 pound-feet of torque. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


NASH (1938) — This 1938 Nash Ambassador business coupe has seen much better days. While Nash offered a full range of cars from coupes to sedans and with a choice of six and eight-cylinder engines, sales sagged to 41,543. The Nash lineup was completely revised for 1939 with sharper, more modern styling and sales surged to 60,348. One interesting feature that could be ordered for the first time in 1938 was the Nash Weather Eye, which directed fresh, outside air into the car's fan-boosted, filtered ventilation system, where it was warmed (or cooled), and then removed through rearward placed vents. The process also helped to reduce humidity and equalize the slight pressure differential between the outside and inside of a moving vehicle.  (Photos by Jim Meachen)


MERCURY (1969) — This 1969 Mercury Monterey is nearly swallowed up by weeds in eastern North Carolina. The large Monterey was introduced in 1952 and built through the mid '70s, the last generation running from 1969 to 1974. Four V8 engines were available for the last generation ranging in size from a 6.5-liter to a 7.5-liter. A three-speed automatic was the transmission of choice. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


PACKARD (1950) — This restorable example of the 1950 Packard four-door sedan rests in a residential yard in Tucumcari, N.M. The sedan came with a straight-eight developing 135 horsepower and sold for around $3,500. 1950 was the last year for the bathtub-style Packard as sales sank from 116,000 in 1949 to 42,000 in 1950. (Photo by B.J. Overbee)


PONTIAC (1963) — This 1963 Pontiac Bonneville station wagon has lost its luster because of neglect. The third-generation Bonneville covered the 1961 through 1964 model years and was Pontiac's costliest and most luxurious model. Three V-8 engines were offered as well as standard automatic transmission, and numerous options including power steering, air conditioning, cruise control, power windows, power seats and a radio. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


PONTIAC (1972) — This 1972 Pontiac LeMans was spotted in a field, perhaps ready to be adopted by someone interested in restoration. The Le Mans was a model name applied to compact and intermediate-sized cars marketed by the Pontiac division of General Motors from 1962 to 1981. The third generation built from 1968 through 1972 included coupe, sedan, station wagon and convertible styles. A four-door sedan such as the one pictured started at $2,932. About 170,000 LeMans models were produced in 1972 with the hardtop coupe leading sales at 80,383 according to OldRide.com. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


MAZDA — This early model Mazda Miata has not only suffered the indignity of being abandoned, but it has been thoroughly burned as well. It was discovered along a wooded stretch of road in the hills surrounding Louisville, Ky. The Miata, now known as the MX-5 Miata, was launched in 1989 and since then nearly one million of the little roadsters have been sold worldwide. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


PONTIAC (1941) — An excellent example of a 1941 notchback Pontiac Torpedo sedan was discovered in a North Carolina farmyard by photographer Ralph Gable. Pontiac introduced the Torpedo in 1940 on the General Motors C-body. The Torpedo shared the body with the Cadillac Series 62, Buick Roadmaster and Super and the Oldsmobile Series 90. The Torpedo had larger windows and wider seats than other Pontiacs, and the hood ornament was a plastic Indian head mounted in a metal base. Available engines were a 3.9-liter Flathead inline 6 and a 4.1-liter Silver Streak inline 8, both mated to a 3-speed synchromesh manual transmission. Below is the intrerior of a '41 Torpedado. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


GMC — A 1967-1972 era GMC truck has come to an inglorious end under a tree in a North Carolina back yard. GMC redesigned its light duty trucks in 1967 and the sheetmetal remained unchanged through the 1972 model year. GMC ranked third in U.S. truck sales in 1968, but slipped to fourth by 1972. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


GMC — A 1967-1972 era GMC truck has come to an inglorious end under a tree in a North Carolina back yard. GMC redesigned its light duty trucks in 1967 and the sheetmetal remained unchanged through the 1972 model year. GMC ranked third in U.S. truck sales in 1968, but slipped to fourth by 1972. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


GMC (1978) — A GMC pickup has become a weedy yard ornament (Photo by Jim Meachen)


INTERNATIONAL — This old International Loadstar, at rest in eastern N.C. weeds, has probably seen its last days of service. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER (1946) — A 1946 International Harvester truck is found resting in the corner of a  Wisconsin parking lot. It was the last year for the K Series introduced in 1940 and built through 1946 with several years of war interruption. There were 42 K-Series models with142 different wheelbase lengths and load ratings ranging from one-half ton to 90,000 pounds. The K-Series styling included headlamps integrated into the fenders. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


INTERNATIONAL — An International dump truck has become part of the landscape in eastern North Carolina. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


JAGUAR (1950) — Contributing photographer John Harper found this circa 1950 Jaguar XK120 roadster, apparently at one time undergoing restoration, in a garage near Charlotte, N.C. Just over 12,000 were built from 1948 through 1954. The original XK120 was motivated by an 3.4-liter inline six making 160 horsepower. The roadster's lightweight canvas top and detachable side windows stowed out of sight behind the seats. (Photos by John Harper)


JEEP — This vintage Jeep is but a shell of its former self resting in a western Virginia yard. At some point in its life it probably provided good service in a variety of roles including possibly the military. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


LINCOLN (1957) — This abandoned car lineup includes a 1957 Lincoln (center). It's flanked by a 1960 Buick, left, and a 1957 Chevrolet. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


LINCOLN (1957) This abandoned Lincoln's interior is rotting away, but was once extremely attractive as attested to by the nicely restored Lincoln above (Top picture by Jim Meachen)


LINCOLN — The hulk of a rare circa 1939 Lincoln Continental settles in for a winter's rest. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


MACK — A Mack B-60 Thermodyne wrecker lives in retirement near Saratoga, N.C. The B-Series trucks were introduced in 1953 and were built through 1966. It was one of Mack's most successful products with 127,786 sold, some of which are still in use. The Thermodyne open chamber, direct-injection diesel engine established Mack's leadership in diesel performance and fuel efficiency.  (Photos by Jim Meachen)


MACK — This equipment-loaded 1970 era Mack truck is nearly enveloped by weeds in southeastern North Carolina. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


MERCURY (1940) — At top, the remains of a 1940 Mercury interior. Above, what it may have looked like just after leaving the showroom more than 70 years ago. (Top photo by Jim Meachen)


MERCURY (1963) — A Mercury Comet convertible has seen better days, but might be revived in the right hands. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


MERCURY (1967) —  Ford built the original Cougar on the popular Ford Mustang platform to give the Mercury brand its own pony car. The original 1967 Cougar came only as a two-door hardtop and slotted into the Ford family lineup between the Mustang and the more upscale Ford Thunderbird. The Cougar was named Motor Trend's "Car of the Year" for 1967. This abandoned and neglected model comes without a front wheel, among other things. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


MERCURY (1950) — This 1950 Mercury "sport sedan" looks as if it still possesses the ability to drive out of its junky retirement home. Mercury was a big hit from 1949 through 1951 with more than 900,000 sold during those three years. 1951 was the last year of the "inverted bathtub" style and the first year for the optional Merc-O-Matic three-speed automatic transmission. (Photo by John Harper)


MG — This copy of an MG 1100 was found deteriorating in a wooded area. The MG 1100 was built from 1962 through 1968 with 124,860 units sold over that time frame. Several other small English cars were built off that platform including the MG 1300, Austin 1100 and 1300, Morris 1100 and 1300, and Woleseley 1100, 1275 and 1300. (Photo by John Harper)


PACKARD (1955-56) — Resting in retirement are two 1955 or 1956 Packard 400s produced in the waning years of the once-proud luxury brand. The Packards of this era were built by the Studebaker-Packard Corp. of South Bend, Ind. Production of the 400 was 7,206 units in 1955 and 3,224 in 1956. The last Packard was produced for the 1958 model year. At right, is an early 1980s model Lincoln. (Photo by Ralph Gable)


PETERBILT — This Peterbilt cab, probably from the late '70s to mid '80s — we admit no expertise when it comes to large trucks — is resting (perhaps permanently) in some eastern North Carolina weeds. Peterbilt Motors was founded in 1939 and continues to be a builder of Class 5 through Class 8 trucks, headquartered in Denton, Texas. (Photo by Ralph Gable)


PACKARD (1952) — You were still being requested to "ask the man who owns one" 60 years ago as depicted in this 1952 magazine advertisement. (Photos by Ralph Gable)


PLYMOUTH (1946-1948) — Plymouth became one of the best selling cars in the U.S. after World War II. There was very little styling and mechanical changes between the 1946, 1947 and 1948 models. To differentiate model years, a check of the VIN was necessary in many cases. The post-WWII facelift involved a more modest grille with alternating thick/thin horizontal bars, rectangular parking lights beneath the headlamps, wide front-fender moldings, a new hood ornament, and reworked rear fenders. This example of a post-war Plymouth coupe was found in Colorado. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


PONTIAC (1954) — Pontiac was the sixth best selling brand in 1954 — but only the fourth best seller at General Motors behind Chevrolet, Buick and Oldsmobile — with 287,744 units sold. The Pontiac was sold as the Star Chief and Chieftain in numerous configurations. Two engines were offered, a 127 horsepower straight eight and a 118 horsepower inline six. This two-door Chieftain found in eastern North Carolina has seen better days. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


PONTIAC (1991) — This 1991 Pontiac Sunbird convertible has been literally "put out to pasture" on an eastern North Carolina farm, although it looks as if it could easily be revitalized into a running machine. The Sunbird was produced from 1975 through 1994 and was available through the years as a notchback coupe, sedan, hatchback, convertible and station wagon. For the '91 model year a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder making 110 horsepower and a 3.1-liter V-6 making 140 horsepower were available. The Sunbird shared a platform with the Chevrolet Cavalier, Buick Skylark and Cadillac Cimarron. (Photos by Jim Meachen)


 

PONTIAC (1941) — A 1941 Pontiac Streamliner Torpedo four-door sedan has worn well in retirement. What the 1941 Pontiac Torpedo looked like as depicted in a Pontiac brochure. (Photo by Jim Meachen)


PONTIAC — Auto journalist Jeffrey Ross discovered this Pontiac Fiero graveyard recently near Huntsville, Ala. The mid-engined sports car was built by the Pontiac division of General Motors from 1984 to 1988. The Fiero was the first two-seater for the Pontiac brand since the 1926 to 1938 coupes, and also the first and only mass-produced mid-engine sports car by a U.S. manufacturer. A total of 370,168 Fieros were produced over the relatively short production run of five years. (Photo by Jeffrey Ross)


PONTIAC (1986) — A 1986 Pontiac Parisienne is in its last days missing an engine, fender, grille and other assorted pieces. The top-line rear-wheel-drive Pontiac Parisienne was sold in the U.S. from 1983 through 1986 after the Bonneville was down-sized on a front-wheel drive platform. Traditional Pontiac luxury buyers still had an option — at least for a few years.  (Photos by Jim Meachen)


PONTIAC — This Pontiac lineup, from left, includes a 1950 Studebaker pickup, a mid-60s Bonneville coupe, two copies of a1965 Pontiac Grand Prix and two copies of a 1964 Grand Prix. Shot in Tijeras, N.M. (Photo by Jerry Brown)


 

Tags: